Welcome to Five Observations, an anime and pop culture podcast! Each episode, I will share five things I have been thinking about.
In this instalment: Legal philosophy in anime, the lives and art of Hukusai and his daughter Oei, Grand Sumo, the good and the bad of the Summer anime season, and my early impression of Kamen Rider Build.
I’m Robert, and here are Five Observations.
1. Attack on Titan is a vehicle for Critical Legal Theory.
- James C Fisher, The Subversive Legal Philosophy of Anime
- Natural law theory
- Legal positivism
- Critical legal theory
- Law and Justice in Japanese Popular Culture: From Crime Fighting Boy Robots to Duelling Pocket Monsters (forthcoming, 2018)
2. Miss Hokusai is a wonderful blend of biography and fantasy.
- MyAnimeList: Sarusuberi: Miss Hokusai
- Oei Katsushika: an artist lost in her father’s shadow
- Hokusai 北斎 at the NGV
- Man Washing Potatoes
- Enjoying a cool evening and fireworks at Sumida River
- Famous places on the Tōkaidō at a glance
- The Amida Falls in the far reaches of the Kisokaidō Road
- Sumo dandies at their daily chores
3. Sumo time!
- Tachiai blog
- Grand Sumo Breakdown podcast
- Kotoshogiku’s Ozeki Bid Ends (note the tag: Dirty Henka)
- NHK World Grand Sumo Highlights
4. We’re far enough into the season to pass judgment…
- Oshiri Tantei
- Made in Abyss
- Action Heroine Cheer Fruits
- Welcome to the Ballroom
- Vatican Miracle Examiners
- A Centaur’s Life
- Restaurant to Another World
- The Reflection
5. I’m trying not to get my hopes up about Kamen Rider Build.
- Kamen Rider Build Full Trailer
- Kamen Rider Build Character Bios Posted
- Kamen Rider Build first henshin
- Kamen Rider Build kick finisher